Thursday, July 15, 2004

Overdose

The clinic called yesterday and woke up my big purple Panic Monster. I had her safely back in the closet with some yummy cookies. (I feed all my emotions, which is most evident when I'm in a bathing suit.) While my doctor said everything was fine yesterday at the ultrasound, the clinic called later and told me to pick up some Repronex from the pharmacy to start that night. They said my E2 levels were fine (990 compared to 222 on Monday, whatever that means), but that Dr. Chickie wanted to add something. The Panic Monster started yelling through the door that the follicles weren't all growing or else why would she be adding something. Maybe the attrition has begun. It took me 3 hours to drive to the pharmacy, pick up the meds, and get back home (after I'd already done that 3 hour trip that morning). I missed a big meeting at work that had been set up for my benefit. So last night we did the Lupron, Follistim pen, and now Repronex (1 amp). This added up to 5 separate shots because we had 3 separate ones of the Follistim pen.

I love my follistim pen. I was always anxious about breaking the glass on the gonal-f, and throwing away medicine when we needed only a portion of one of the amps. With the pen, I dial up my dose, put on a needle, and I'm ready to go. When you're out of the medicine, then the pen should stop injecting and stop at the dose you have left so you know how much to do in the next cartridge. We were getting confused because it wasn't stopping. We figured that the dose in the cartridge must be right because of FDA requirements or just from greed of for-profit pharmaceutical company, so it must be the pen calibration. So when we've gotten to the end of the cartridge, we've been injecting whatever is leftover thinking it wouldn't be much.

Last night, I needed to take 300 IUI of follistim, but we knew there was only 200 left in the pen. We dialed to 200 and injected it. We then took out the cartridge and inspected it. There seemed to be more than a little left. Matt thought maybe we had miscalculated what we had used, or that we had dialed incorrectly one of the times. So we injected the rest, then injected 100 from the new cartridge. Online last night I found out that the cartridges are overfilled by about 100-120 IU. So, we've been injecting an extra 100 IU almost every other day. Obviously, with my 10 follicles I have not overstimulated, but these gives me many questions.

What do I do now? Do I tell my doctor? It was an honest mistake. I'm so afraid that she will cancel the cycle or back off on the drugs. She's so much more conservative on the dosing than I would be. I've followed all instructions exactly as written, but I know now that I've got even more drugs than she knows. What I want to do is not say anything because I'm being monitored anyways. But what if the extra 100 IU every 2-3 days is messing up the monitoring or hurting my follicles. Could this cause some of them to stop growing? I could stop on that extra dosing starting now, but there's nothing I can do about the past.

If I bring it up, I'll feel exceptionally stupid, but it's more about the fear of them canceling the cycle or decreasing my stims. If I don't, then I fear that things will not go well, and I will have only myself to blame. Obviously my Panic Monster is now driving, not yet at Mr. Toad's Wild Ride stage of panic but there's always tonight. Any ideas?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

shit. I think telling your doctor here is in order. I understand your concerns but I think she needs to know. That sucks.

summerbreeze

10:32 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

I have zero experience with this, but I would probably tell the doc. I'm sure you're not the first person to do something similar. At least you doctor will have all the info and can adjust (if need be) your dosage accordingly. I hope everything works out.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Soper said...

shhh....if it ain't broke, don't fix it....

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know nothing about these things or the dangers. That said, you're being closely monitored and they aren't seeing a problem with over stimulation. So, if it were me (and I recognize it isn't), I probably wouldn't say anything and I'd just know for future reference.

Then again, I'm the chickadee that was in a study, where I finally ovulated on 100mg of clomid. But when I left the study I screwed up and told them it was 200mg of clomid. As in, I was taking 2 50mg pills a day, not 2 100 mg pills a day. Oops. I realized this...oh, 5 days ago. As in the last day of my clomid. But things are working fine. If this cycle doesn't work I won't be on clomid much longer anyway....so, I'm keeping my mouth shut.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. That was me......Mandy.....www.infertililtyisfunny.blog-city.com.

Now I'm outed. I can't lie anymore. At least not to you guys.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say don't tell. But what do I know. It just seems like by now they would be telling you if there were any negative effects. They'd be saying "Wow, I'm really surprised that you are getting overstimulated on this dosage.What's going on?"

On the other hand you might feel better if you got it off your chest.

Sorry to waffle.

patricia
http://laf.typepad.com

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home