Wednesday, September 08, 2004

The Heat

The heat is making me crazy. Here in northern California, weather is supposed to be cool and mild. Instead it's been in the 90's, which may not be that hot for someone in Arizona, but we do not have air conditioning here. Working at home means I can't escape to an air conditioned office. Every day I close the house up in the day and open it again in the evening.

Our home was originally built C-shaped, with a giant courtyard in the middle. All the main rooms open up to it, including the master bedroom. Some time in history, someone added the courtyard to the house by adding a ceiling, walls and windows. The previous windows are now openings looking into this family room, except the master bedroom whose window was closed up (there's still another on the other side). The result is more floor space with the added family room, but also horrible air flow. (It also lacks all its former design becoming instead more practicable. Apparently 50's space and style can't compete with the square footage needs of a more modern family.)

At night when it gets cool, I open all the windows but the air doesn't come in. The cool air stays on the outside of the screen, refusing to enter no matter how much it would be welcomed. I want to get my sleeping bag and sleep in the backyard. Instead, I sleep on the couch because our bedroom has to be the hottest room in the house. (Also, Matt sleeps well in heat, snoring immediately, making it worse for me.)

This morning on the Today show I saw it raining in New York and I was jealous. I love rain and absolutely miss it. I love to hear the rain on the roof, or walk in my raincoat. I love knowing all the roses are being watered and the streets are cleaned. I even miss the sound of my windshield wipers and collection of umbrellas outside my front door.

Tonight, I will eat another popsicle and linger in front of the freezer. I will go to bed with wet hair and dream of rain drops on my roof. May the time return soon when I can hide my prickly legs in jeans and cuddle with my throw. I'm tired of this blasted summer. Come on Fall, save me from this heat.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sanorah said...

things to consider, from a girl who grew up in Southern Oklhoma where HOT is the state moto.

-fan in the window
-ceiling fan and a damp washcloth to moisten myself with throughout the night.
-window unit AC. Ugly..but worth it.
-fan tent (my favorite thing to do when i was a kid was to safety pen a sheet at 4 corners of the bed and at the top of a box fan on a chair at the foot of the bed. This created a wonderful cool-air filled tent to sleep under.

good luck..

5:37 AM  
Blogger sherry said...

I agree with you on the heat...hate it!

I'm here in the Northeast, and despite being close to the water, we still invested in a few A/C units (like Sanorah said, ugly, but worth it!) to cool the house on those unbearable days. It's possible to get one at a heftily discounted price, with it being the end of summer and all.

Best of luck getting cool!

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How on earth can you live in Arizona without a/c? Sorry you're dealing with the heat. I love the rain too. It's raining here today, but I'll try to send some your way, I need some more sun to finish reddening the final batch of tomatoes I have.

Emily
scrambledeggs

10:53 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

*

4:54 AM  
Anonymous ceiling fan said...

Hey Pazel you said it The Heat now that rings true. I swear by my homes ceiling fans, talk about sweet cool fresh air beats air conditioning any day!
I found some good deals through ceiling fan install kit and other resource sites. Anyway if people need ceiling fan install kit related stuff they should check it out.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous ceiling fan globe said...

Hey Pazel you said it The Heat now that rings true. I swear by my homes ceiling fans, talk about sweet cool fresh air beats air conditioning any day!
I found some good deals through Minka Ceiling Fan and other resource sites. Anyway if people need Minka Ceiling Fan related stuff they should check it out.

5:54 AM  
Anonymous ceiling fan said...

Hi Pazel long live the ceiling fan!! The Heat says it all. My place is covered with them with one in each room. No air-conditioning for us, recycled pollution thats all it is. I found some great advice from ceiling fan resource sites like Outdoor Ceiling Fan, they helped me make decisions on Outdoor Ceiling Fan and related stuff.

5:38 AM  
Anonymous ceiling fan said...

Hi Pazel long live the ceiling fan!! The Heat says it all. My place is covered with them with one in each room. No air-conditioning for us, recycled pollution thats all it is. I found some great advice from ceiling fan resource sites like ceiling fan, they helped me make decisions on ceiling fan and related stuff.

5:29 AM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Wondrous blog. Your site was very pleasing and I
will go back again! I like surfing the net for blogs
as good as yours.
Search for my pro and cons of plastic surgery blog, it will leave you speechless.

12:19 AM  
Blogger born2-hate said...

Great blog.  I just like the site and I will get a
visit again! In my spare time I usually try and look
for blogs just as neat as yours.
You must peep out my cash advance austin blog.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home