Monday, September 06, 2004

How Hard Could it Be?

My mother told me she watched a whole Discovery channel show on IVF. Now that she knows we went through it (after the fact), she was especially interested. She went through some of the cases in the show that got her attention. I had already seen the show but was interested in her interpretation. The stories she brought to me were of the woman who went through IVF at 60 something, and the woman who had the nucleus of her egg used in another woman's egg. She must think that IVF is full of wonderous miracles rather than a toss in the dark. Afterall, if they can get a woman pregnant in her 60's, how hard could it be for a woman in her 30's? I wish there was a show on IVF that went through more than just the science. It would interview an infertile woman at a baby shower, or buying her 100th pregnancy test, or deciding whether to go through the next level of treatment. It would go over the facts of infertility as well as tactfulness and manners, i.e. don't tell her to relax or use a turkey baster (actually said to me) or just file for adoption in order to get pregnant.

But, I take it as a good sign that she's trying to learn. I haven't been too forthcoming. I've been kind of slipping back into my shell again. I feel as if this pregnancy isn't real, or is only temporary. That I will have to retrace my steps and tell anyone I told that it's not going to happen. I haven't had any more spotting or other issues. It's like it's just too good to be true. After all these years of wanting it, it has finally happened. No way.


7 Comments:

Blogger sherry said...

During my last cycle, I actually recieved a turkey baster as a gift. Nice...

It's nice to see your Mom trying her best to be involved and educated about your situation!

Best of luck to you...sending sane and hopeful vibes your way.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

I came across your site through Julia. I'm happy for you, and nothing is too good to be ture. Best wishes!

:-)

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I feel as if this pregnancy isn't real, or is only temporary."
I feel the same way. It's almost feels like our doctors have lost their minds - how can they be so happy, so giddily optimistic?
I can't wait for when we get "used to" this, my friend : )

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I feel as if this pregnancy isn't real, or is only temporary."
I hear you.
Can't wait until we get used to this.
Menita
(lifesjestbook)

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By chance do you know the name of that show? I was looking for it yesterday and couldnt find it.

I went through IVF and am in the middle of a FET cycle and wanted to see it.

I think it is really a good thing she is trying to understand. I am so glad to hear there has been no more spotting and you are doing well.

~Debra~

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I feel as if this pregnancy isn't real, or is only temporary."
I hear you.
I hope we get to the point when we get "used to" being pregnant. Hang in there.
Menita
(lifesjestbook)

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! Sorry about the multiple comments!!! Every time I submitted it looked like it hadn't gone through - I'm so sorry!
Menita

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home