Monday, October 18, 2004

A Mistake

I'm home again. As much as I complain about this house, walking in the front door feels like wrapping up in a warm blanket. Mmmm, home.

When I left Abby was doing much better and about to come off the ventilator. She was having some difficulties after her night nurse mixed up her lines for proteins and lipids and didn't discover the mistake until 5 hours later. It meant she had far too many fats which messed up her glucose levels and kidney function tests. They say there's no permanent damage, but you can't help but wonder. Valerie was furious, of course, and from then on all changes had to have two nurses so that one could observe while the other made the change. If it had been different lines the baby would have been killed. We don't need that kind of drama.

Valerie was also doing better. She had talked administration into letting her have a cot in the room after they vetoed her twin air mattress. It's hard to believe, but they didn't have accomodations in this room for a parent to stay with their sick child or baby. The other PICU rooms had 6 foot long built in window seats for the parents to sleep on, but Abby's room had one that was only about 4 feet long. Not even wide enough for curling up on. It took a lot of hassle for her to be able to get to sleep there. They kept telling her to go home and sleep and trust the staff to take care of her daughter. She wouldn't leave her side. When the mix-up happened, the staff that told her to trust them had a hard time looking her in the face.

She actually asked to speak to the nurse who made the mix-up and told him this,
"I'm going to give you a gift. She's going to be okay and I wanted to be the one who told you. You made a mistake and I know that you're very sorry. I want you to go home and get some rest. You'll be working again tomorrow night and you're not going to be able to unless you get some sleep. If you let this bother you and play it over and over again in your mind, you will be tired again tomorrow night. I haven't decided yet if you'll be in here with Abby, but you'll be with some sick child and they will need you just as much. I think you'll be especially careful next time you work, but only if you can get some rest. Of course I'm upset and that's to be expected but Abby will be okay and that's what is most important."

She says he was crying the whole time because he felt so horrible. He had been talking to her during his shift about how much he loves down's kids and enjoys working with them the most. It was a careless mistake, but it wasn't lethal. He's a good nurse, but considering he just flew back from the Dominican after a humanitarian mission, he's just tired and should have taken more time to rest before working this night shift with such a sick child. I'm sure he'll never make that mistake again.

As for me, I'm back to the mundane. My voicemail box is full again. It is always full. I hate my voicemail. Patients call and ask to speak to Finance and get transferred to my phone (alphabetically first in Finance) when what they need is Patient Financial Services. I get all sorts of hang-ups and angry messages when I don't handle billing at all. My attempts at educating the call center have all been in vain.

Oh what an exciting work life I have.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing woman your friend is. And whan an amazing friend you are to be with her at such a difficult time. I'm thankful Abby is going to be alright.

Can you change your outgoing message to indicate that billing questions should be directed to Patient Financial Services and give them a "press 0" option to get back to the operator?

Good luck getting back in the swing of things.

Kay
bowlofgumbo.com/kay

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so thoroughly impressed by your friend's handling of the situation. How very scary, and I'm so glad it worked out that Abby is ok.

As for them not willingly making accomodations for her to stay, I am so glad she stood her ground. There is no good reason to keep her out of there.

2:48 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Hype blog. And I admire your site and plan on
returning to it! When I web surf it always helps me to
find great blogs.
Look who checking out my plastic surgery cost blog?

4:10 AM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Excellent blog. It was so great and I bet I will
go back to it! I get to look online for blogs like
yours is a blessing.
Come as you are and look at my pro and cons of plastic surgery blog.

8:39 PM  
Blogger zom-bie said...

Great blog.  I just like the site and I will get a
visit again! In my spare time I usually try and look
for blogs just as neat as yours.
Jump into my magnum cash advance blog.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really impressed with your writing talents as well as with the layout for your blog. Is this a paid subject matter or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, it is uncommon to look a great blog like this one nowadays..
Also visit my web site youtube.com

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post provides clear idea for the new users of blogging,
that truly how to do running a blog.
Feel free to surf my page :: amber leaf

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I get actually
enjoyed account your weblog posts. Any way I
will be subscribing on your feeds and even I achievement you get
entry to constantly rapidly.
Feel free to surf my blog post ... old holborn

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there are using Wordpress for your site platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and set
up my own. Do you require any coding knowledge to make your own blog?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
My site > Eiendom i Antalya

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful work! That is the kind of info that are meant
to be shared around the internet. Shame on the seek engines for
not positioning this publish upper! Come on over and consult with my website .
Thank you =)
My website ; http://bostaditurkiet.net/

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is not my first time to pay a visit this web site, i am visiting this website dailly and
get pleasant facts from here daily.
Also visit my web page :: alanya property for sale

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I seriously feel this
amazing site needs far more attention. I'll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the information!
Stop by my blog post :: drum tobacco

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone loves it when individuals get together and share
thoughts. Great website, stick with it!
Also visit my page : Captain Black Pipe Tobacco

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and exposure!
Keep up the good works guys I've added you guys to my own blogroll.
Check out my webpage - diablo 3 guide

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey very nice blog!
My weblog - golden virginia tobacco

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've learn some excellent stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much effort you set to make this sort of magnificent informative website.
My blog samson tobacco

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am actually thankful to the owner of this site who has shared this impressive
paragraph at at this place.
Here is my web-site :: http://wormchurn.com/index.php?do=/blog/10668/you-will-get-gone-acne-the-modern-much-too/

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurrah! After all I got a blog from where I
be able to genuinely obtain useful data concerning my study and knowledge.
Also see my webpage: acne generally

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are going for most excellent contents like myself, simply pay a quick visit this website all the time
for the reason that it gives quality contents, thanks
Also see my web page > diablo 3 guide

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks
of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?
Also visit my site :: http://www.socialmetin2.tk/index.php/profile/rubenmills

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home