Friday, November 26, 2004

Still A Ways To Go

Generally speaking, there are only two reasons for asking a pregnant woman how far along she is:

A. To compare her due date to her belly size.
or B. At some attempt towards conversation.

The problem is, the conversation ends quickly after an answer is given by the pregnant woman and then the questioner replies with either:

A. You've still got a ways to go then.
or B. You're getting close.

At least these answers are better than outright comments on my belly size compared to my due date. (Yes, I know I look farther along. How fun for you to point it out for me.)

I've been getting the "ways to go" comment a little too often lately. First, just two days ago when I was buying the crib and changing table from some man who listed them on craigslist. Obviously he gained a lot of sensitivity and insight through becoming a father. Then yesterday at Thanksgiving from Matt's grandmother immediately after telling me that I'm getting a little round (understatement of the year), then asking when I'm due again. Maybe she thought that her memory was mistaking her. No way could I be due in early April when I look so due now.

I've never felt compelled to guess how far along a pregnant woman is. Unless you guess right on target it causes problems. If you guess too small, then she'll start to doubt herself and wonder if there's something wrong with the baby. If you guess too big, she'll know you're making some statement on her overall weight and how much she's eating. Trust me, I'm always guessed too big and it's not fun. It's the only time people feel compelled to make comments on my general appearance and I don't appreciate it.

Between you and me, I'm not concerned about my weight and neither is my doctor. She has never said anything one way or the other. She's always told me that my belly measures on target. I just have to think that there are those petite pregnant women who are ruining it for us larger pregnant gals. Creating an image that some of us just can't live up to, and I don't really need to. I just want size comments to go away.

Frankly, I don't think I've got a ways to go. Considering the over three years it took this baby to be conceived, I think I'm on the home stretch to only have 4 more months until his arrival. 4 more months is nothing in the grand scheme. Cake walk in comparison to 4 months or more stretched out without much hope of even starting the 9 month time clock. I know and I remember. I'm grateful to have made it this far and for each day that I wake up still pregnant and the baby still kicking.

I know.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes.

Said perfectly.

Mandy (infertilityisfunny.blog-city.com)

9:30 PM  
Blogger Demented M said...

Very well said! Why haven't I linked to you? I will rectify that very soon.

Enjoyed your posts esp about the hubs and IVF.

And don't worry you look perfect.

M

9:34 AM  
Blogger St Louis Cardinals BUFF said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 9 because you have a quailty topic.

Free Access To More Information Aboutfares

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog! Keep up the great work, and I'll be sure to visit regularly.

I have a online finance degree related site, check it out if you get some time!

Look forward to reading more of your insightful post!

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog enjoyed it :)

Keep up the excellent work! and i bookmarked u!

so cant wait for ur next post! :)

Thanks!!

4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about boards discussion infertility and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about boards discussion infertility so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by boards discussion infertility

4:20 PM  
Blogger Editor said...

Wow that´s a great blog that you have there, mine is slightly differnent but it basically covers the same topics.

I have a ovarian cancer symptom site. It pretty much covers Cancer related stuff.

Check it out, you won´t regret it... Cheers.. Roger From Http://www.havecancer.com

1:03 AM  
Blogger Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

7:31 AM  
Anonymous sell your house fast said...

Hello Pazel, I found your post Still A Ways To Go searching for information on sell homes. It came up in the search engines when I was looking for sell homes. Not quite a match but I thought I would let you know I found you, Thanks.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous list home on mls said...

Great Post Pazel! I was searching under the term list home in mls and found your Still A Ways To Go post as I was looking for more data on list home in mls. Your must be ranking well in the engines. Best of luck Pazel!

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Traffic Swarm said...

I found a company that pays $10 - $50/hr for shopping the classifieds!

Work At Home $10 - $50/hr Easy part/full time work, no boss, no commute, no set hours, paid every 12 days..

I'm making over $500 a day with this company and will be happy to help you do the same.

Hurry postions are filling fast!

6:27 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Hype blog. And I admire your site and plan on
returning to it! When I web surf it always helps me to
find great blogs.
I wish I was like you, but I'll go and peep your plastic surgery florida blog.

9:54 AM  
Blogger quick cash advance loan1c1 said...

Incredible blog. I admired your site and I will be
back once again to view it! I use much of my spare
time searching for blogs like yours.
Search for my advance cash on line blog, it will leave you speechless.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home