Saturday, December 18, 2004

Procrastinating, as usual

I just returned home from my last trip to Arizona until probably June. As to be expected, my boss was able to duck out of the post-maternity leave question by arriving 45 minutes late for our meeting and wanting to go over my latest financial model first. The next day we were to have lunch together, so at last minute she invited 3 other people. She's good, oh so good at getting out of this discussion. So now it will have to be over the phone. Not the most ideal situation, but that's how she made it.

I also have a horrible cold, probably from the airplane. I always catch things from the airplane. On the flight home, I was squeezed into a middle seat in steerage between my daughter and some big guy who was a total encroacher. He not only put his whole arm on our shared arm rest, but elbow way over on my side. He also sat with his legs wide open, knee in my area. I felt like I was a kid again, sitting in the back seat with my little brother, and I wanted to point out the line of separation between his seat and mine. Instead I did my usual passive aggressive warfare and coughed and sneezed in his direction. I hope he's now drowning in his own mucus.

So I'm sick and I'm at school trying to finish a paper. For those who haven't been to Berkeley before, it is on a hill on the east side of the San Francisco Bay. From my seat right now I can see the Golden Gate bridge (only a little bit of haze around the bottom) and some boats in the bay. It really is a beautiful sight. But I'm not allowed to be gazing and dreaming (and who can while they're sneezing and blowing their nose every few minutes) as I'm supposed to be finishing this stupid paper. Once I do, I'm done for the semester. A free bird. I also have all next week off of work. I will finish shopping, rest and hopefully recover.

Janie is getting very excited and kind of stressed about Christmas. Her stress comes from when she met Santa. The first year she met him, she was a baby and slept through it. The second time she sat on his lap with a sad look on her face. The third time she screamed straight-legged and red-faced. (I used the picture for our Christmas cards; I'm that mean.) The fourth time she sat and smiled, but refused to look at him or talk to him. This time she actually said one word to him. "Barbie." After giving me the complete list all the night before and all the way there, all she told him was Barbie, which is not tops on her list (nor mine). I discovered yesterday that she thinks she's not going to get anything but Barbie because that's all that she told Santa. When I probed for why she only told him Barbie, she told me it was because Santa asked her what kind of doll she wanted. So now she's stressed because she wants so much more and at a higher priority, and I'm a little peeved as I'm assuming that this particular Santa isn't asking the little boys that same question.

I've completed all my long distance shopping and shipping. I've just got to finish up my local stuff. I've got Jamie nearly complete, and haven't bought a single thing for Matt. What do you get for the guy who secretly buys whatever he wants? Matt had not finished his family's long distance shopping (except for that which I did for him). I could say that maybe he thought I would be taking care of it for him, with my cold, with my backache, with my cough, with my paper due, but I don't think he considered it at all. I think he just didn't worry about it until I brought it up to him today that he needed to do it and get it all done today. Then I wrote him a list of all that he needed to do to get it done and he groaned. Not only does he have to face the last-Saturday-before-Christmas crowd for 5 different stops, but he has to bring Janie too. Didn't I warn him to order it online? Yes, but he wants to wrap them...ooops, I guess he just added another step that I forgot to write down. Lucky, lucky guy. He's probably still out there, and probably not too happy about it.

And here I sit, with this view of the bay, surrounded by other students, listening to jazz, and eating whatever sweets they sell. I just try to space my trips to the counter so as not to appear as gluttonous as I really am. Mmmm, lemon cake. Okay, back to work. This paper won't write itself. And when I'm done should I run straight home to relieve Matt, or knowing that I will end up with Janie all tonight and tomorrow should I take advantage and do some solo shopping? Is it an ethical dilemma or just tiny fieldtrips to save my own faculties?

p.s. first hint towards actress... initials M.S.

5 Comments:

Blogger Boysmom11 said...

Oh, I've been hoping you'd give us a hint! Is she an "older" actress??

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you should know - the leg lamp went to my clinic's White Elephant exchange today. It was passed around a bit - no one could look at the thing without laughing. The winner is travelling during the holidays and is going to take it to each house she visits.

Christine
therabbitlived.typepad.com

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Meryl Streep?

Heather Ann
bytheskinofourtheeth@primus.ca

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many of our modern drugs have harsh side-affects and cost the “earth”, so the next time you come down with a cold or the flu or anxiety attack, why not try a gentle alternative that costs next to nothing?

Instead of immediately forking over large amounts of money for over-the-counter drugs, go to the kitchen cupboard and see what you can find to relieve your symptoms including anxiety attack.

Here are some helpful hints for anxiety attack …

A simple hot compress applied to the face is very soothing to those throbbing aches and pains of a blocked sinus, while a few drops of eucalyptus oil on a handkerchief can provide welcome relief for similar conditions. While supplements of vitamin C, D and zinc will shorten the lifespan of a common cold, a hot lemon drink is also extremely good. And be sure to cuddle-up in bed when you have a cold, as it will make the body sweat out the germs.

Cool lemon juice and honey are a great soother for a sore throat and gives the body much-needed vitamin C at the same time The juice of one lemon in a glass of water is sufficient. Melt the honey in a little hot water for ease of mixing.

A smear of Vaseline or petroleum jelly will do wonders for those sore lips and nose that often accompany a cold.

A 'streaming cold' where the nose and eyes water profusely, can respond to drinking onion water. Simply dip a slice of onion into a glass of hot water for two seconds, then sip the cooled water throughout the day. Half an onion on the bedside table also alleviates cold symptoms because its odor is inhaled while you sleep.

People prone to catarrh may find that chewing the buds from a pine or larch throughout the day will clear up their condition in just a few days.

Do you suffer from sore eyes? If your eyes are sore from lengthy exposure to the sun, try beating the white of an egg and then spread it over a cloth and bandage the eyes with it. Leave the preparation on overnight. Soft cheese (quark) is also a good remedy for this condition.

For those unpleasant times when you suffer from diarrhea, two tablespoons of brown vinegar will usually fix the problem. Vinegar can be rather horrible to take, but who cares! The problem is more horrible. Vinegar can usually be found in most people's cupboards, so you don't need to worry about finding someone to run to the shop for you in an emergency.

Sleepless? Instead of reaching for sleeping pills, which can quickly become addictive, try this: Drink only caffeine free tea or coffee starting late in the afternoon.. Go to bed earlier rather than later, as being overtired tends to keep people awake. Make sure the bedroom is dark and quiet. Use only pure wool or cotton sheets and blankets. Polyester materials can cause sweat and make you thirsty (if your child constantly asks for water throughout the night, this could be the reason).

And don't watch those scary movies just before retiring! If you still can't sleep, make a tea of lemongrass or drink a nightcap of herbal tea containing chamomile. It's easy to grow lemongrass in your garden or start a flower pot on the balcony for ease of picking. Simply steep a handful in boiling water for five minutes. Honey may be added for a sweetener.

Of course there will be times when you do need modern drugs, so if these simple remedies don't have the required affect, be sure to see a health care professional.


anxiety attack

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have an awesome blog ! I'have just bookmarked you.

I have a ebay acitons misspelled auction search site. It pretty much is a search engine that allows you to search eBay for misspelled auctions and allows you to find some great bargains.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)
eBay misspelled auctions

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home