Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Review of Past Slogans

Every year we've been married we've toasted to a motto for the year that summed up our desire to have or not have a child that year. It started out so silly and cute.

  • Just us two in '92.
  • Baby Free in '93.
  • Babies No More in '94. (Not that we had one in the first place, just needed something to rhyme.)
  • No Babies Alive in '95.
  • Babies are Nixed in '96.
  • All Babies in Heaven in '97.
  • Babies Would be Great in '98.
  • Babies More Than Fine in '99.
  • Baby is Our Hero in Zero. (Got pregnant & gave birth that year. Must have been a good toast.)
  • Maybe another 1 in '01.
  • Want 2 in '02.
  • Another Baby for me in '03.
  • Another Baby to Adore in '04. (Got pregnant.)

So now we need a toast for '05, which is easier to do while pregnant. I'm thinking, "Another Healthy Baby Alive in '05." After this one, I'll get my tubes tied and plan on not having any more baby or non-baby slogans. Maybe all those non-baby slogans were bad juju. Or maybe not and it was just our way of discussing family planning each year.

Without all my school work to read, I've been able to read again for leisure this break. Last night I read a few chapters in a book called "Expecting Adam." It's about two Harvard PhD's who end up having a child with Down's. It's hard to put down so far. I also have two Downs handbooks so that I can read and learn about my best friend's baby daughter, as well as how I can be a better friend.

I've been back to having nightmares since the tsunami. I'm pregnant (huge like now) and with Janie on the beach in Thailand when the big wave strikes. She can't swim. I'm trying to hold on to her and swim. I'm thinking that if I wasn't pregnant I could do it. I feel like I can't save them both and feel guilty for wanting to put Janie first before myself or this baby. It's really not fair since I haven't met this baby yet and I've loved Janie for years. All those second baby anxieties I guess. I never thought I'd ever really be in this position. I really thought that Janie was it, our only one and we were lucky to have her. We were trying again, naturally for years, 3 IUIs, and then an IVF. Yet, I had lost faith in the process and had come to terms with having only 1. Yet, the IVF worked. And I will have two. I have no idea how this will work. I don't try to second guess it, I guess I'm still surprised despite all this time and this belly. I still think that I'm infertile. I still think that I have nothing in common with other pregnant women I see. I hate answering questions on the pregnancy to strangers because I feel like I'm making it all up.

Back to the minivan negotiations today. I'm struggling over the decision on which options to get. I love all the bells and whistles, but I know that I don't need them. I don't neeeed them. But, having them would make up for the fact that it's a minivan. Doesn't John Travolta call his the "Rolls-Royce of Minivans" or something like that in Get Shorty when everyone questions him on his vehicle?

As for the deal, I know all the available rebates, how much I want for my trade (fair trade in value from kelly blue book, but less than the various listings for same year and model), which fees I will pay (destination if reasonable, taxes 8.75%, license $250-300, documentation of $15 and tire fee of $5), which fees I won't pay (dealer prep, markup, holdback, windows vin etching, flooring assistance, etc), the invoice cost, and the actual dealer cost (invoice minus 3% of the MSRP). As I've learned from my Negotiations class, preparation is the only part of the negotiation that you control and is often the most neglected. The maximum I would pay would be 5% over dealer cost (not invoice) less all the rebates, but I will be working towards getting 3%, which would be the same as $100 under invoice, plus the rebates, plus the 0% financing, plus my fair trade value. I have all day today and tomorrow to negotiate. If not, I will put it off until some month in the future. It's hard to spend the money, but it sure would be nice to have a new car.

14 Comments:

Blogger Toni said...

We sound so much alike. I'm starting to wonder the same thing - how am I going to love my first child as much as I do now?

And...what do I get on my minivan b/c I have no choice but to get a minivan...

Will be reading you more to find answers.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about california infertility and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about california infertility so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by california infertility

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about anastasia infertility and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about anastasia infertility so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by anastasia infertility

6:53 PM  
Blogger Clickbank Mall said...

Come Visit Santa at his blog and tell him what you want for Christmas,

10:55 PM  
Blogger Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

9:08 AM  
Blogger clicking4man said...

For more information related to what is in this bloglatin dating
, you should stop by and see this site. It is full of latin dating
related articles and information.

10:01 PM  
Blogger tipsonrelationships said...

This is a terrific blog on matchbox romance
. My site on matchbox romance
is also a great place to get some valuable information. Stop by when you get a sec....

Thanks

11:30 PM  
Blogger lovetips2006 said...

I enjoyed reading through your blog. It's full of lots of information about unhappy marriage
and other subjects related to unhappy marriage
.

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greatest Blog Post. Please visit this site on area code distance international long
area code distance international long

11:08 PM  
Blogger officialloversguide said...

101 Tips For Enhancing Your Love Life!!

You have a very good blog here. Full of divorce renee zellweger
content. Stop by my site if you have time to read more on divorce renee zellweger
.

5:34 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Exciting blog. The site out did itself and will be
back! I love surfing the internet for blogs that are
exactly like this blog.
Stop by and visiit my plastic surgery tummy tuck blog!

11:48 AM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Charming blog. Your site was off the chain and I
will return! When I get the time I look for blog like
this one.
Jump into my breast plastic surgery blog.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Trim International said...

I found a company that pays $10 - $50/hr for shopping the classifieds!

Work At Home $10 - $50/hr Easy part/full time work, no boss, no commute, no set hours, paid every 12 days..

I'm making over $500 a day with this company and will be happy to help you do the same.

Hurry postions are filling fast!

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, great site. I was out surfing for info on Tummy Tuck Scar and thought I'd check your site out. Good luck.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home