Monday, February 14, 2005

Effort versus Results

Happy Valentine's Day! Tonight we will cook steak and beans, and dip some strawberries into chocolate. It would almost be romantic except our daughter will be there. Last night she signed and drew her card to Matt while I wrote mine. We then put them with some chocolates into his truck to surprise him this morning. As soon as we got back in the house she ran in and told him. I guess 4 year olds aren't very good with secrets.

I had class all day yesterday on Leadership Communications. Basically it is a speech class in which we are called to give a prepared speech and several impromptu speeches just to get used to speaking in front of others. For one of my speeches I had to talk about a bad past manager and I thought I'd share it with you.

He was a partner at Arthur Andersen when I was a staff person, and was counseling me. I was exceeding the budget on a job, certain things were taking a lot longer than expected. I was working as hard as I could, and there was no other way to do it and get the comfort I needed, at least in my opinion. He lectured me that effort didn't matter, only results mattered. It didn't matter if it took me hours or days, as long as I got the right answer.

I still think about this in light of Arthur Andersen falling because of short cuts and poor auditing all in the name of fees. They sold their credibility. It is not all about results afterall.

Effort does matter. I can't help but put this to the infertility test and wonder how different I would be right now if I had never gone through infertility. If I end up taking home this baby I'm carrying, the result is the same. Yet, to get him we went through so much. All this effort doesn't just disappear because it worked.

I'm sure he's gone on to work for some company making tons of money. But I can't help but hope that not everything goes so easily for him and he does have some effort. I don't think he'll remember me or that whole lecture, but maybe he'll learn that he doesn't know everything afterall.

I hope you have a great Valentine's day. Eat lots of chocolate and get lots of loving.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen P said...

Hope your V-day was just lovely. We had a nice pink cake and a few chocolate kisses.

Best wishes

3:03 PM  
Blogger Beaver Girl said...

Brilliantly said. Effort does matter.

7:02 AM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Charming blog. Your site was off the chain and I
will return! When I get the time I look for blog like
this one.
I will give you access to jump to my american board of plastic surgery blog.

6:36 AM  
Blogger completely-disgusted said...

Unique blog my friend, I can hardly wait to vist
this site again. I just worship the site its comes
from! Believe me in my extra time I'm consistently
looking up blogs like this.
Go by and hit my no faxing cash advance blog, you'll be glad you did.

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home