Friday, July 22, 2005

Anticipation, It's Keeping Me Waaaaiting

Isn't it funny how you get to know people you've never met via their blogs?

My boss once told me about her friend who had HELLP and I replied that my friend did too. I was referring to Julie at A Little Pregnant. I've never met her, seen her picture, or talked to her, but I felt sick when her baby was born early, and ecstatic when he got to go home.

There's so many other women with blogs who've had babies this year that I've celebrated. Infertility is Funny, Life's Jestbook, So Close, RE's Muse, Can't Be Broken, Rabbit Lived,... and so on (and some I'm still waiting on.) Sure, maybe it's all fiction. Or maybe I'm nothing but a voyeur. But I feel part of their lives. I feel like they're my friends.

And now Chez Miscarriage GettupGrl herself is having her baby. YAY! The idea that she's about to go through the greatest kind of joy has me over the moon. Again, a stranger somewhere is probably at the hospital as her surrogate is in labor and here in California I am smiling big enough to have tears. Incredible.

As the writer of my own blog, I feel very close to anyone who reads or comments. I love you all and trace your blogs. (My own list of blogs to the left needs serious updating to reflect what I'm actually reading now. Half those links don't even work anymore!) I feel like you're my friends and have referred to you when speaking to my husband. "One said..." You've given me so much encouragement and love and advice. It makes me think of myself as more than just a fan of the blogs I read.

Someday there will be a better term for this close friendship with strangers. In the meantime 'friend' will do.

And Grrl, you go!

10 Comments:

Blogger Lala said...

I feel like a friend of yours. It's a nice feeling.

Lala
http://lalaland.typepad.com

1:22 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

You're not the only one who refers to us blog gals as friends. I've done the same thing when speaking with people in real life--"one of my friends did that" or "something similar happened to one of my friends," etc. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in that.

And you know what? Like you, I truly do consider these women (and YOU!) friends. We've shared more than I have with many of my IRL folks...and I wouldn't change that for the world.

And also like you--I'm close to tears of joy myself for Grrl and her gefilte and can't wait to hear the official news and "share" the next chapter with her.

I can't think of a greater group of women to share this journey with...present company included Pazel.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Menita said...

The word "friend" works just fine.
Everything you say here is true - I know I was so upset the first few days of Jack's life, until things began to fall into a pattern for you. I know I think about a little boy I've never met, and probably never will, as if he were the son of a dear friend.
Because he is.
Thank you for being out there for me too.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Boulder said...

I always call people who have blogs that I read my friends. I'm guilty of saying, "Oh, yes, I have a friend who has/had/tried this and or that." I'm sure that if I were pressed to divulge that my friend is only known via the computer, it might feel akward - but only to the questioner, not to me. My blog writing friends have told me much more than a next door neighbor or co-worker usually does, and they keep it more authentic as well. Everyone needs friends like that, I think. Superficiality abounds in life. I happen to prefer autheticity. Friend.

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Julie said...

Ahhh, I've never liked any of you jerkwads.

2:54 AM  
Blogger L said...

I actually began reading your blog from Julie's blog. I've been reading since you've brought little Jack home from the hospital. I hope you and your family are doing well.

You write beautifully. I wish I could write half as well as you do.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Mandy said...

I've referred to you many a time as "my friend..." and I'm honored to be considered the same. I don't get online as much as I used to, but when I do it's that feeling of meeting up with old friends..those that know the story behind the story.

In many cases, my friends in the computer know more than my friends outside the computer. It's easier to open up about things with people who will understand, who've been there themselves.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't seem to be doing more for you than read your diary and leave little notes...

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will be back. Great site with some great info. Glad your here.

I have an ebay auctions misspelled auction search site. It pretty much is a search engine that allows you to search eBay for misspelled auctions and allows you to find some great bargains. Come and check it out if you have a chance.

eBay misspelled auctions

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about cause common infertility and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about cause common infertility so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by cause common infertility

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home