Monday, August 01, 2005

Finally

Friday night we had our first family portraits since Janie was a baby. I feel bad that we didn't take one in the last several years, but I was always busy with work, unhappy with my weight, or going through infertility. I just didn't feel like it. Now, I'm still unhappy with my weight and busy with work, but I'm very happy with this little family we've created. It was a long time in the making. Plus, after I lose more of the weight, this picture will serve to remind me how far I've come.

Preparing for the pictures took all day. I bought and ironed clothes, got my brows done (putting "Dr. Brows" in my appointment calendar at work just in case someone wondered where I went), got my hair done, and got Janie's hair done. That last bit seemed extravagent, but she needed a haircut and it was cheap. Besides, she loved that we both got our hair done together.

Jack refused to smile during our family pictures, and threw a fit during his pictures with his sister. Maybe it was the photographer being so close during his individual pictures, but he flirted and smiled. For those pictures, we had him half naked in a basket with netting hiding the diaper and bag. I didn't want his babyhood to go by without naked pictues, but I didn't want pictures of his bag either. The photographer was a champ and didn't ask questions, just smiled and goo-ed at him while he stared and smiled at her chest.

For the family pictures, the posing would start by having me sit down first. Then Jack would be put on my lap, Matt posed behind me, and Janie on my side. I felt like the center of my family; that I was surrounded by all we had created. It was not hard to smile. Who cares about the weight or my hair or our clothes. It was us, together, and happy. Finally. I don't know if there is a more complete than that.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

I'd love to see that picture sometime--maybe on Flickr one day? I bet you all look beautiful.

I've got to get my act together and set up portraits for A and I and the baby. I never thought I'd be writing that :-)

10:05 AM  
Blogger L said...

That sounds really sweet :)

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Lisa V said...

That last bit, just beautiful.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Ninotchka said...

That's just beautiful. You made a memory in more ways than one, huh?

8:12 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

What a lovely moment! I'm glad it's preserved and will be treasured for years to come. Congratulations on your wonderful family!

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about employer friendly infertility and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about employer friendly infertility so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by employer friendly infertility

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Visit us today to learn more about Cat Urine Remover

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home